Types of Residence Permits in Mauritius: The Residence Permit and the Permanent Residence Permit

A previous article advanced that foreigners can apply for three types of permits if they wish to live and work in Mauritius. These are the Ocuppation Permit (OP), the Residence Permit (RP) and the Permanent Residence Permit. As discussed, the OP is a combined work and resident permit that allows a non-Mauritian investor, professional or self-employed to work and live in the country.

Retired-Non Citizen residence permit

A Residence Permit may be granted to a retired non-citizen who is more than 50 years old. This would allow him to reside in Mauritius and is applicable for a period of 3 years. It is renewable if established criteria are met. The applicant must be willing to make an initial transfer of at least USD 2,500 to his local bank account in Mauritius. After that, he should transfer at least USD 2,500 monthly or send instalments that amount to at least USD 30,000 per year. The spouse and children of a Residence Permit holder may also apply for residence permits that do not exceed the duration of that of the RP holder. This is also applicable for step children and lawfully adopted children.

A non-resident holding a residential property under the Property Development Scheme, the Integrated Resort Scheme or the Real Estate Scheme is also eligible to apply for a Residence Permit on the condition that the acquisition value is at least 500,000 USD.

The Permanent Residence Permit

The Permanent Residence Permit allows its holder, a non-citizen, to live and work in Mauritius for a period of 10 years. The following categories are eligible for this permit.

  • An investor having a valid Occupation Permit for three years preceding the date of application for the Permanent Residence permit and whose company has an aggregate turnover exceeding a cumulative amount of Rs45 million for a consecutive period of 3 years.
  • A self-employed with an Occupation Permit for three years immediately preceding the date of application for Permanent Residence Permit. His income should be more than Rs3 million every year during each of these three years.
  • A professional holding an Occupation or a Work Permit for three years. He must have drawn a basic salary of at least Rs150,000 per month during the entire three year period.
  • A retired non-citizen having a Residence Permit for three years. He must have transferred at least 40,000 USD or its equivalent in convertible currency annually during each of these three years to Mauritius.
  • A non-citizen who has invested a minimum of 500,000 USD in a qualifying activity in Mauritius. These sectors are :  Agro-based industry, Audio-visual, Cinema and Communication, Banking, Construction, Education, Environment-friendly and green energy products, Financial Services, Fisheries and Marine Resources, Freeport, Information Technology, Infrastructure, Insurance, Leisure, Manufacturing, Marina development, Tourism and Warehousing, Initial Public Offerings.
  • He must be registered as an investor with the Board of Investment.
  • A non-citizen who is a member of the Mauritian Diaspora. He must be registered with the Board of Investment under the Mauritian Diaspora scheme.
  • A non-citizen who acquires property priced at a minimum of USD 500 000.

When applying for an Occupation Permit or a Residence Permit as Retired Non-citizen, the applicant should be physically present in Mauritius

 [JD1]Permanent residence is also offered to people who buy property priced at a minimum of USD 500 000

 [Z2]I’m sorry but I cannot find this info neither in the PDF nor on the govt’s website. I added it but was unable to elaborate. Apologies.

Leave a Reply